Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chivalry Is NOT Dead!

On a trip downtown yesterday on my new adventures of commuting via the Metra, I was pleasantly surprised and I immediately knew it was something I was going to blog about.

If you don't regularly ride public transportation, you don't know about all the things you can experience! The things you will see might impress you, it will likely amuse you, it will often times surprise you and on occasion, it might shock you. There is a lot of writing material during a public commuting experience. I suggested to my co-worker that to capture it all, I would have to be blogging as I was commuting.

So anyway, back to yesterday. I was on my way downtown in the early morning rush hour commute and of course, I got on a train car with all seats filled with the exception of a few openings where you'd have to crawl over the inconsiderate person who affixed themselves to the aisle as a way of saying "don't sit with me." On some other morning I may have messed with this person but today, standing was really fine with me. I opted to stand across from the "priority seats" which are for the elderly and disabled. In the morning they are always filled with regular people and I've not yet had the occasion to test that to see if one of those "regular people" would give up their seat to the elderly or disabled. I noticed the sign said you must do this "if requested." I'm not sure many people are going to request that someone get up to give them the priority seat. Again, getting off track..... back to the "experience."

As I set down my briefcase between my legs and perched myself against the wall facing the "priority seating" commuters, a professional man between the age of 30-35 noticed me and quickly stood up and asked me to take his seat. I was stunned for a moment. Now, he could have thought I was elderly or disabled, I realize that, but I think he was actually being a chivalrous young man and giving up his seat to a woman who was standing. I immediately wondered if this was something my son would do...... I would expect him to but I'm not sure if I remembered to teach him that when he was growing up. Note to self: check with son as soon as possible on this scenario to gauge what he would do and immediately correct him if he doesn't answer correctly in the hopes that he will do it in the future. I politely declined the gentleman's offer for his seat but I was taken aback by his gesture. It was so old-fashioned and it restored my faith in the fact that men still open doors and offer up their seats for women! This young man's mother would be so proud!

So as we approached downtown and I gathered my things (I am not near capable of multi-tasking during my commute like some others I observed, i.e., the woman sitting with her cell phone on her knee using it as an e-reader and knitting at the same time) so I go into panic mode to put my book away and button up my coat, etc. a whole stop before we arrive at the station. I drop a quarter out of my pocket on to the floor and in a packed train, in heels (I'm a novice commuter) I am inclined to just push the quarter aside and forget about it but another young man lurches from his seat and picks up the quarter and hands it to me. TWO IN ONE DAY!!! I thanked him and just sort of smiled the rest of the way to the station.

One of the many things that prompted me to accept my husband's marriage proposal was the fact that he opened doors (car doors included) and was chivalrous. I don't know why these gentlemen's actions surprised me but it was such a pleasant surprise to encounter young men that have the social grace to know that it's very classy to make these sort of gestures.

When we arrive at Union Station, I feel like Carrie from Sex in the City as I walk with a purpose in my business suit, my Louis Vuitton scarf adorning my very practical but professionally stylish winter coat and toting along my briefcase with a big smile on my face. Ladies, I am here to tell you that good men still exist and chivalry is NOT dead!

2 comments:

  1. Looove this article! Chris is very much this way and I really think it's one of the reasons why I can't wait to marry him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know it for a fact but I believe you will find more chivalrous acts on Metra than on the CTA. I speak as someone who, in the past, has had the opportunity to use both forms of transportation in my commute to work.

    ReplyDelete