Monday, January 14, 2013

Social Aggravating

I'm always thinking about what I can share on my blog. There are things that I immediately want to write about and have to curtail my excitement because well, somethings are just inappropriate for public consumption. There are other things I want to write about that just simply no one would care about. But does anyone really read this? I never get any comments or replies ... my guess is that my two co-workers (who also blog and commit to be my followers) are the only real human beings who read this faithfully. If you're out there and you aren't Melissa or Kalen, I'd love to know.

So how many of you know someone who posts socially unacceptable, aggravating, negative or just plain old bullshit posts on a social networking site? You don't say anything because they are either a good friend, a friend of the family or someone you don't want to offend yet every time you see a post from them you just want to poke yourself in the eye with a fork. I confronted the person I know this weekend and it didn't turn out really well.

One of my closest friends lives with sort of a conspiracy theory. She's convinced the government is out to get us all ..... she quotes passages from the "Secret Government" and she believes that vaccines are made to kill us or cause cancer in all of us, she believes that our President is out to take away all of our American rights, she believes that the government will come knocking at your door someday and take away all of your guns, and that soon, you will be stripped of all of your rights. Every single post, every single day revolves around something like this.

Who knows if she is right, perhaps she knows something not everyone else does but really, if all of that is true, do we really want to live and breathe it every single minute of every single day? If eventually, we will all die because we were vaccinated with the very poison that will someday destroy our bodies, this world and all the life on it, do we really want to know that now?

This is my same friend who also has a survival kit in her closet for the day the world ends and she claims that I can make fun of her when I am searching high and low for her because she has a mobile water purification system in that kit. REALLY? Do I really want to live through the end of the world? Not really. I want to die as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

This weekend when she posted that the H1N1 vaccine has poisons in it that will cause cancer and all sorts of other stuff, I just lost it. I called her crazy and paranoid and told her I was worried for her. She got mad and lashed out and in some ways I don't blame her, after all, it is her Facebook page and she has the right to post whatever she wants on her own page but the negativity just sparked something in me and I had to voice my thoughts.

Turning on the news everyday is depressing enough ..... I am trying to live 2013 with as much positivity as I can. Thinking positive brings good things. I'm not going to worry about things I can't change and I'll work extra hard for the things that I can. Is it wrong that I just don't want to see negativity every time I sign on to my Facebook account? Perhaps I should unfriend her, I mean, it's her right and it's my right not to have to see that if I don't want to. If I unfriend her, I will either offend her (even though I have already) or I will lose a connection with her that is important to me.

I'm reading a lot lately that says to flush out the negative people in your life .... but I love her and I don't want to lose her in my life. Am I wrong for telling her that all she is projecting is negativity and that just once in awhile it would be nice to see something positive from her?

I'm curious to other's thoughts on this topic. Is anyone listening?

7 comments:

  1. I read your blog and I love it!!!!! Yes sounds like your friend is on the paranoid side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, thank you so much for reading and for your comment! It's a great motivation to keep writing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone should be a little paranoid. If you really look at everything going on in the world right now you'll see that America is headed in a very bad direction. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, and should not be criticized for it. Especially a very good friend. I can see how it can be taken a bit far, and the agrivation that will cause for the people who don't want to hear it. But if that is the case and you are worried about someone, insulting them is not the right way to go. So what if she has a survival kit, it makes her feel more secure knowing if things go wrong that she has a plan so be it. There are people who spend millions of dollars on safe houses under ground. That is crazy and paranoid. There is nothing wrong for being prepared for a disaster. This is all petty unnecessary drama between two very good friends, and isn't worth losing such a valuable friendship over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not listening but I am reading :) I just hide those people's comments, then I don't get aggravated. She sounds a bit extreme, but passionate people are interesting even if you dont agree with their view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, El and your comment is a good one. If I just hide the comments, I won't see them, I guess. I've flushed out a lot of the negativity from my life as well as some long time friendships as a result. I absolutely don't have to agree with my friend's views ... I have lots of friends that I don't agree with but in this case, I never hear anything positive and I am sincerely worried. Thanks for the positive spin ... "passionate people are interesting even if you don't agree with their views." I love you!!!

      Delete
  5. I'd also do the same, hide her posts so you don't have to read them. Negative and paranoid thoughts only drain you... focus on the positive and what you can do to make your days enjoyable. :)

    ReplyDelete