Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Evil Girl at Starbucks

I'm a Starbucks addict ... I admit it. I really love the coffee, there is nothing else like it and I don't mind paying a little more for what I consider a great start to my morning. Part of what comes with that is the service ... Starbucks is a little like Trader Joe's ... they hire eclectic people, people who are a little quirky who really seem to enjoy serving you the beverage of your choice. As a professional recruiter, I'm hopeful that someday I can recruit for a company with this kind of philosophy. It's genius! In my home, besides myself and my dogs, no one is really a morning person. My little one used to leap from bed with the birds singing above his head but as he is reaching his teen years that is less and less the case. My husband has even gone so far as to say (and yes, I do mean out loud): "I don't like when you and the dogs are up in the morning. My whole routine is thrown off and when everyone is sleeping, I don't have to talk in the morning. I like it." Ok, so you get where I'm coming from. :) For this reason, most mornings I like to start my day at my local Starbucks with a Venti Iced Decaf Americano with heavy whipping cream and two sweet and lows. It's the perfect start to my day. I normally do it through the drive-thru and I love to be greeted by the almost singing voice on the other end of the speaker when I get up to place my order. She (or he) is so cheerful and it puts me in a good mood. They are smiling when I get to the window and they always wish me a good day. If I'm forced to wait, they gladly hand over a coupon for my next coffee on them. It's the perfect start to my day and this is part of the service I have become accustomed to at Starbucks. This morning, I pulled up to the drive thru to see the many of my neighbors were too feeling the need for a java boost this morning as the line trailed around the building. The parking lot was nearly empty and I knew I'd get thru faster if I just parked and went inside and so I did. I was greeted --- wait, greeted would be a generous word for this young lady. She didn't smile, didn't ask if she could help me, just looked at me inquisitively and said "What can I get you?" I recited my order while she grabbed a cup and started writing on it. She asked the Barista about heavy whipping cream and whatever she asked him he answered affirmatively. She then looked back at me and said "How many sweet and lows?" to which I replied "two, thank you." She collected my card, finished the transaction and handed me my receipt and moved on to the next customer. I waited patiently for the Barista to make my drink. I watched intently at the next customer behind me. He was a pretty unattractive man, tall, awkward, dressed in jeans that were inappropriately too tight and a little too short. He had a sweater on that was a bit too snug with a jacket and a scarf and the craziest Kramer-like hair you've ever seen. This guy was OVERJOYED to be alive. He practically sang his order. He was so pleasant and kind and this cashier went about serving him with absolutely no personality, no smile, no real service. How could you NOT smile at this guy? I was just standing waiting for my drink and even I smiled at him. He was so goofy and pleasant, how could you not? While I waited, I saw the front of the New York Times which had a picture of a lesbian couple that were married in Manhattan on 12/12/12. He moved over to join me while waiting for his drink and the front of the New York times caught his eye as well. The couple was dressed in a bridal gown and a tuxedo and the woman wearing the tuxedo looked strikingly like a man ... a good looking one at that. The goofy overjoyed-to-be-alive man said "Oh, that's a woman .... it looks just like a man ... a good looking chap at that." I smiled and agreed. He grabbed the paper and said "I'm going to buy this" and proceeded over to the cashier and put the paper down and said "can I just buy this?" She looked at him sneeringly and said loudly "Yes, but right now, I am helping this customer" and looked away from him. I cringed and fought back the urge to go off on this rude young lady. He moved back over to me and said "Hmmmmm, what was I thinking?" I acknowledged and said "she's not the most friendly now, is she?" He said "She really didn't have to do that, she could have just said "Sure sure, that's $2.50." I laughed. She could have also said "Sir, could you just wait one second while I finish this order?" As I wished the goofy overjoyed-to-be-alive man happy holidays and walked out the door, I passed a young African American man asking for change. I told him I didn't have any change on me and in turn he said "thanks m'am, have a nice day." I thought to myself ...... this man is asking for change and telling me to have a nice day. There is a girl taking orders inside Starbucks ruining the mornings of hundreds of people while she gets paid a decent hourly wage and gets pretty good benefits. What's wrong with this picture? News flash missy .... IF YOU TAKE A JOB SERVING PEOPLE'S COFFEE IN THE MORNING, IT'S YOUR FRIGGIN JOB TO PUT ON A SMILE AND ACT LIKE YOU ENJOY IT!!!!!!! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment