Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wild Girl Wine

Hey fellow winos (as my friend Michelle calls us)!

On Saturday, I stopped by the Lincolnwood wine shop on Lincoln Avenue and asked the assistance of the clerk who, as it turns out, was very knowledgeable about wine (and it didn't hurt that she actually pulled a wine glass out of the back room and GAVE it to me since I was heading with my bottle to a friend's who does not drink wine nor does she have wine glasses). I confessed to her that I was currently smitten with red blends and wanted to try something different. She pointed me toward a Zinfandel and told me that she fell in love with wines because of Zinfandels. She felt they just had that big, juicy, fruitful zing that she just loves. She imagined from my description of what I like that I would love them too. She was pretty right. I picked up a bottle on her recommendation at a price point I don't normally spend for myself. It was yummy. Anyway.....

Now you know that I'm a bit of a blend whore these days. It all started with Apothic Red and then I had some Dearly Beloved from Trader Joes and liked that even more and then Cocobon happened to me.

I am currently in a torrid love affair with Cocobon and I don't know that I could find something to beat it. The Wine buyer at TJs in Park Ridge recommended it to me and she was not wrong, it definitely doesn't suck. So the other night, I really wanted to run over to Trader Joes for a bottle of Cocobon but I just didn't have the time. On a quick jaunt through Meijer's, I came across an appealing label on a "clearance" shelf in the wine department. I'm all about an appealing bottle or even better, a crazy label and I love wines called Promiscuous, Bitch, Flirt or things like that. I know that it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the wine, but I am absolutely comfortable admitting to all the wine snobs that I buy my wine based on the bottle or the name (if someone doesn't recommend it to me).

How cute is this bottle? I was a bit distracted by the word "sweet" because I'm looking for a smooth red blend, not something to give me cavities.
I went back and forth as to whether I was going to take the plunge. I'm normally not this indecisive but the bottle went in and out of my cart a few times. I finally read the back of the bottle for the description and it said something like "a racy melange of dark fruits and zing." How sexy does THAT sound? Besides, I am a bit of a wild girl at times (wink wink). I grabbed it and headed to the check out. I could HARDLY wait to open it once I got home. After the day I had, I really needed this to be good. Whatta ya know? It was! I'd describe it as a blend of Ruby Cabernet and Shiraz. It was so smooth. VERY juicy blackberry influences. It was delish. So delish that I finished all but a glass that I would then consume the next night.

I highly recommend you check this one out if you like really juicy reds. I wouldn't call it sweet but it definitely isn't dry. It's just a really smooth delicious treat. Get it! You know you want to!

2 comments:

  1. I can't drink reds much (I think it's the sulfites or tannins or something . . ) but my husband does and I often point out wines with cute labels! Glad to know someone else buys alcohol that way! - I know do that with beers for sure.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete