Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bridges

The hardest thing in life is to know which bridges to cross and which to burn.

How many of us have been there? Have you ever remained friends with someone simply because you were lonely or wanted someone to hang with? I, myself, am terrible at cutting ties. My husband is incredibly good at it and I often criticize him for it but I wonder if my heart would be less heavy if I could just let it go sometimes instead of trying to hold on to it. I can't count the times I have put more into a relationship then I was getting in return, not just with men but with friends as well. While there are a handful of friendships I have been able to let go of, I have a very hard time letting them go. I grieve a really big loss when I do.I feel somehow responsible even if in all honesty it had nothing really to do with me.

In 2013, I plan to ditch those in my life that zap my energy, encourage bad habits and judge me for who I may or may not be. I am more interested in putting the time and effort into friendships that are supportive and mutual with people that care enough to want to be my friend. I want to be surrounded by like-minded and positive people.

By nature I am competitive but the one place that I don't want to compete is in relationships with people I love, especially my friends. I want loving, supportive friendships not friendships where we are trying to constantly one up each other. I find that I flee the scene quickly if that occurs.

After an interaction with a friend in 2013 I will pay better attention to how I feel after hanging out with that person. More importantly, I will ask myself why I remain friends with this person. If the answer is something other than mutual support, love, motivation, inspiration, encouragement, laughter, or any other positive emotions or outcome, I will re-examine the relationship.

Are you holding on to relationships in your life that keep you from being happy? What will you do differently in 2013 to attain happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment