Thursday, November 15, 2012

Public Speaking

I spent the last day and a half in a training on presentation skills or basically, public speaking.  I will admit, it was terrifying.  Even as an outgoing and social person, I have always avoided public speaking opportunities. Truth be known, I've taken lesser grades and inevitably left college because of the required public speaking.  Earlier in my life, it was just something I couldn't do.  When I worked for the YMCA very early in my career, I was charged with running new employee orientation.  I actually had an asthma attack before the presentation, and I don't have asthma!!!!

The company that Solo has been acquired by has a full-time training Director and she came out and presented a class on presentation skills for 5 of us.  It was such an exhilarating experience and I'm thankful to have had the development opportunity.  It helped me realize I am not the only one with this fear and that I'm not the only one who has things to work on.  Overall, my feedback from the instructor was very positive and flattering.

I can't say I am completely over the fear of public speaking but I certainly know what I should and should not do.  I also learned that I am not terrible at it either.  I love conquering a fear and most of all, I love someone who pushes me outside of my comfort zone to achieve what I previously thought impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment