Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Sleep

I LOVE sleeping ... not in a weird recluse way, I just really enjoy my bed and my sleep.  About a year ago in my struggles to lose weight, my doctor sent me for a sleep study. Who knew that someone with a sleep disorder could actually have difficulty losing weight!  Well, unfortunately, that wasn't my problem ... ha!  What they discovered is that I have a very mild case of sleep apnea.  Turns out when I was waking up to pee every night, I wasn't really waking up to pee .... the sleep apnea was disturbing my sleep and when you wake, your brain normally sends a signal to your bladder and everything gets working.  Then I had a thought that stopped me in my tracks ....... was I going to have to wear a C-Pap?  Uggggggh....how not sexy (lol), like my poor husband needs another wrench thrown into our sex life!  Well, as it turns out, my sleep apnea was very mild so I had a choice between a dental device and these little stickers that I'd have to put on my nose every night.  Well, I opted for the dental device and went off to see my dentist.  He immediately dismissed the idea ..... it would force my jaw forward in an unnatural way and would cause problems with my bite down the line.  Yeah, that's not something I want!  So I resigned myself to the stickers and to my surprise, they aren't so bad.  The only problem is that I have to remember to put them on ...... it's sorta like remembering to use a condom.  :)

So this last week, I have been diligent about remembering and I haven't woke up once during the night (unless it was my husband coming in at an ungodly hour or my dogs deciding that they needed to run barking out the front window at a passerby in the middle of the night). This simple fact you'd think, would be enough to help me remember.  I feel more rested in the morning and the doctor actually said I should notice it easier to lose weight.  I'll take it!!!

Everyone should have a sleep study, who knew sleep could be connected to so many things and I didn't even really know my sleep was interrupted.  It's scary.  So hear I am, shouting out for Team Sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment